Qualities of good building stone
when we go with the What are the characteristics of good building stone or we can call it properties of good building stone, then there are 12 factor which determine the property of the good building stones. Never compromise with any of the 12 factors required for the good building stone.
What are the characteristics of good building stone
1. Appearance- stone should be free from holes or spots and they should contain uniform colour.
2. Crushing strength of good building stone- If stones which are form from igneous rocks are stronger than sedimentary and the crushing strength of stone should be greater than hundred Newton per mm square (100n/mm2).
3. Specific gravity of good building stone- stone should have specific gravity more than 2.7 %.
4. Stone should be highly durable and strong..
5. If we talk about water absorption then stone should not absorb water more than 0.6 % by weight.
6. Good building stone should be compact fine and crystalline structure.
7. A good building stone should not react to acid or we can say that it should be acid resistance.
8. Good building stones are basically bright, even, sharp and clear.
9. One of the most important thing for the stones are that it should have a wear less than 3%, basically the stone should be free from wear as it decreases its strength.
10. Good building stone should be Fire resistant.
11. A good building stone should not contain quarry sap that means you should not contain moisture.
12. Should be easily carved, molded, cut and dressed. It is one of the most important factor at as a determine the strength durability and hardness of the stone.
Uses and Applications of Building Stones in Civil Engineering
Use of building stone in civil engineering or application of building stone in civil engineering are for the following purpose-
1. Building stone can be used For foundation, wall ,column, lintel floor, damp proof course etc.
2. Building stone can also be used for brick masonry or we can call it is facing work in brick masonry.
3. Building stones in the road work, can be used as moorum.
4. Marble is a type of building stone it can be used in floors,aesthetic purposes, beautification purposes.
5. It can be used in blast furnace as a flux and blast in railways.
6. For the construction of bridge, piers, abutments and retaining wall it can be used as stone blocks.
7. Building stone can be used in the harbor for the construction of breakwater.
8. It also can be used for the construction of light houses and Dam.
If we talk in brief for the use of building stone it is used at many places.